Sunday, May 11, 2014

From Whence I Came

Okay, first off, let me make an apology to all those who have been anxiously awaiting a new blog post for weeks. A lot of big things have been happening lately and I haven't had a ton of time to write. Plus we just barely got internet like a week ago.

That said, happy Mother's Day, everyone!

Let's talk about my own mother. 

Twenty one years, five months, and two days ago, I came into this world and made her more than she was (you're welcome, Mom). She looked down into my tiny baby face, after 24 long hours of labor, and said with tears in her eyes, "It looks like a lizard."

Before I started this blog post, I thought a lot about the things that make my mom who she is. I pulled out my tablet and stylus and drew whatever came to mind, and now I'm here typing the words part and I can't quite figure out how to pull it all together. So, without further ado, here are some funny things about my mother!

The Nail Polish Box

My mother and sisters and I enjoy spending time together painting our fingernails. We go to the store, pick out fun colors of nail polish, and sit down and test it out. My poor father hates it, says it stinks up his whole house. He usually opens a can of sardines to fight stinky with stinky. But for us girl types, that's some quality bonding time. 

These days, all of the gazillions of colors of nail polish collected over the years are gathered together in two or three shoe boxes. Inside these boxes is everything we need for nail painting. In recent years, however, the nail polish box has gained a new addition.

It contains...

...all the colors of nail polish, for painting.
...nail polish remover, for changing colors.
...cotton balls, for apply nail polish remover.

...and reading glasses, because my mother is old now and can't look at things close up.

Instant Messaging

I have a crippling fear of talking on phones, and sometimes I get really busy and don't have a ton of time to go visit. However, due to the marvel that is Google, we mainly keep in touch via instant messaging. 

Well... maybe "instant" messaging is a bit of a stretch.

I recently took a typing test for a job interview, and my score showed that I type about 75 words per minute. My dear mother, on the other hand...


The woman types like she's disarming a bomb. You'd think the keyboard was going to jump up and bite her. 

Lessons Learned

Oh! I sort of figured out a direction to go. Yay me. The next few pictures are about things my mother taught me that have made me a more useful member of society. 

My mother recently told me that her main goal in raising her children was for them to grow up into independent, smart, productive women. None of us was ever raised to be a "kept woman" or to have anyone take care of us. 

As soon as I was old enough, I was taught how to be an effective person. I was given responsibilities and educated on every aspect of adulthood. 



She taught me how to manage money and how to make my meager funds stretch further. She taught me how to save money, how to spend money, and how to never pay full price for anything.

I remember one particular incident when I was young and getting ready to start school. I was going to big kid school, so I needed a new big kid backpack. I had found one that I loved, but there was one problem...





One of the most important lessons my mother taught me, though, is something I can apply to every aspect of my life. It's something I've shared with friends and with the young women I taught. 

That lesson is this:

Don't try to be a size 2 if you're really a size 6.

Think about it like this: Have you ever worn pants that were two sizes too small? You could be a perfectly healthy person that is perfectly average sized, but be wearings pants made for a person who is significantly less than average. You might squoosh those pants on in the morning and think to yourself "Hooray me, I'm a size 2!" But really, everyone else looks at you and says "Wow. Look at that poor pudgy girl. Bless her heart."

Now think about this. Have you ever had that pair of pants that just fits perfectly? You wake up in the morning, pull your pants on comfortably, look in the mirror, and think "Guuuuurrrrl." Maybe those pants aren't a size 2, but they look so good on you. Truthfully, your pants may be bigger, but they make you look a lot skinnier than a tiny pair of pants with love handles hanging over the side ever could.

That lesson doesn't necessarily apply to just pants, either. It could mean taking on a project that you actually have the time and resources to accomplish, rather than one that seems more impressive. It could mean choosing a major that actually suits your talents an abilities, rather than one that makes more money. It could mean choosing a piece of music to perform that is simple, beautiful, and within your range, rather than one that is complex and impressive. 

You'll always look better doing well at something that fits you, rather than failing at something that doesn't. 

For those of you in this world who have mothers (read: everyone), you too should take a moment to think about your mother and everything she has taught you. Chances are, it's a lot.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom.


4 comments:

  1. In my defense, I type a VERY ACCURATE 35 wpm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you go take a typing test online just so you could say that?

      Delete
  2. I like that thing about pants. That's going in my life pocket.

    ReplyDelete