Sunday, October 6, 2013

Yours, Mine, and Ours

Once upon a time, like four and a half months ago, I got married.

A lot of girls spend their childhood dreaming about the day they wed, and how they're going to live happily ever after, and imagine what an awesome wife they're going to be...

I was NOT planning on getting married anytime soon, believe you me. In fact, there's still a part of my brain that keeps thinking "Yeah, I'm not going to get married for years and years, if ever!" And then I remember that I already am married. Not that there's anything wrong with that! But you know, it's just weird sometimes.

Anywho, long story short, getting married was a shock.

Today, we will be learning about why getting married has been such a learning experience for me, particularly when it comes to learning to live with a guy. I grew up with two sisters and no brothers, so I've never really had to live with a boy. I mean... my dad... but he's a dad, so that doesn't count. So without further ado, here is what I've learned about how to live with a husband.

1. Sleeping Habits



Growing up, I had my own room since I was a tiny kid. For like fifteen years, I had my own space, my own closet, my own place. After my marriage, not only did I have to share a room, I had to share a bed and a blanket! We don't sleep in a king sized bed, either. I brought the bed with me to the marriage, and I had been sleeping on a full sized bed. We aren't huge people, but it's still quite snuggly, and learning to share is rough stuff.

Admittedly, I'm not always the victim in the sleeping situation.


2. Bathroom Habits

Oh my goodness. I don't... It's just... (shudder)


For ten years, I shared a bathroom with two sisters and two cats. Admittedly, it gets tough to keep a clean bathroom with that host of occupants coming in and out, but introducing a boy into the picture is a whole different experience.


I'm no clean freak, as I'm sure my mother would be glad to confirm, but there's just... I...


3. Eating Habits

Okay, I have no illusions of being one of those nibbly little skinny girls that only eats organic... kale... None of that nonsense. I do, however, eat significantly less than a 24-year-old man. And the way I eat is different.

I'm a notorious chip-licker. I'll admit it right here, right now. I just like to enjoy my food to the fullest extent! I lick the seasoning off my chips before I eat them, I nibble the salt off my pretzels, I slurp my soup, I eat my fries one at a time. So sue me. 


Daniel eats like he's got a time limit.

4. This


Well, okay. Growing up in a house full of women doesn't mean I never experienced this. (Looks at sisters)

***

Don't take any of this wrong, I love my husband dearly and have no qualms about signing on for this... er... adventure. Being married is one hundred percent worth all the snoring and sharing and tooting. 

In fact, to be totally fair for writing this post and embarrassing my beloved spouse in front of all the internet, I've extended him the invitation to write a guest post for my blog. So that should be... Adorable. Entertaining. Enlightening. Interesting. Terrifying. Hilarious. Pick an adjective.

Also, next Saturday is a momentous occasion, because it marks the anniversary of mine and Daniel's very first date. This pretty much beats out any previous records, and I'm hoping that our relationship continues to be the record holder forever. To commemorate this fortuitous event, my next post is going to be sort of a Q and A type deal, all about the adventures and experiences and times that we've had over the last year, good and bad.

So, if you have a question you want answered or a story you want told, let me know here, in the comments, or send an email to hemustbehappy@gmail.com. Or, alternatively, if you haven't already "liked" Plans for Nigel on Facebook, you should go do that. And then leave your words in the comments there.

But for really, I want to know what you want to know! You're all part of the Plan.

...for Nigel.

1 comment: