Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Friends of Nigel 2: Walter

It occurs to me that in all my writings, I neglected to mention that Nigel is not an only hamster. For some time now, Nigel has had a cage mate named Walter. Walter is an altogether different breed of hamster than Nigel, and in my opinion the STUPIDEST breed of hamster. Nigel is a Sunfire hamster, which is either a very majestic or a very hippie sounding name. Walter, however, is a Roborovski hamster, which sounds dignified but it's not. Robo hamsters are notorious for being super impossibly quick. Add to that the fact that young Walter (called Bandy, as his baby name) seems to suffer from some form of hamster-specific manic depressive disorder, and you are left with quite the handful. But not really because full grown Robos are teeny.
Wee Bandy came into my possession shortly after I moved back home. My sister had become so enamored with Nigel that she insisted I take her to the pet store to buy her a hamster of her own. Long story short, she never did pay me back for that hamster, so the repo men came and took him away. Now he shares a cage with Nigel, and I'm sure there are some days when Nigel tires of his antics...
I suspect, sometimes, that Bandy is imbued with supernatural abilities, including but not limited to: teleportation, superhamster speed, incredible levitation powers, and the ability to store more food in his face than the total volume of his entire body. 
Young Walter-called-Bandy is a troubled little furball. I don't know if he experienced some sort of traumatizing experience in his infancy, maybe his mom tried to eat him or something. I hear that happens. Either way, Bandy is one of the most retarded hamsters ever to scamper the earth. As far as rodential comparisons go, if Nigel is the white mice from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Bandy would be more like Gus Gus from Cinderella. 
Even today, while I was actually IN THE PROCESS of writing about how stupid Walter is, he managed to get a running start, fall down the stairs, bonk his nose, and get his tail caught in the air holes of his hamster ball. 
Disclaimer: The following picture is not really Bandy. I don't have enough patience to take a picture of him, but all Robos look the same, so it works. Not all of them are quite as scruffy as Bandy, though.



No comments:

Post a Comment